In the dynamic world of air travel, airlines are constantly adapting to meet the needs of their passengers. One such change that has recently taken flight is Southwest Airlines Name Change Policy. However, when it comes to name changes on airline tickets, Southwest Airlines adheres to a strict policy that differs from some of its competitors. Understanding Southwest Name Change policy is crucial for passengers who need to make adjustments to their reservations.
Table of Contents
Understanding Southwest Airlines Name Change Policy
Southwest Airlines generally does not permit name changes on purchased tickets. This is because their fares are non-transferable, meaning they cannot be transferred to another person’s name. This policy is in place to ensure fare consistency and prevent unauthorized ticket transfers.
Why Does Southwest Name Change Matter?
When booking a flight, the last thing on your mind might be whether you’ve got your name spelled correctly. However, as any seasoned traveler knows, small details can make a big difference. Southwest Airlines recognizes this and has implemented a Southwest Name Change Policy to ensure a seamless journey from the booking process to boarding the aircraft.
However, Southwest Airlines does make exceptions for legal name changes, such as those occurring due to marriage, divorce, or court orders. In these cases, the airline will allow for a name correction on the reservation, provided the passenger can provide supporting documentation.
What is the Procedure for Legal Name Change?
Changing a name on a Southwest Airlines ticket involves a few steps, and the process can depend on various factors such as when you discover the error and the reason for the change. To request a name change due to a legal reason with Southwest Airlines Name Change, passengers must follow these steps:
Gather Documentation: Collect valid government-issued photo identification with both the old and new names, such as a driver’s license, passport, or marriage certificate.
Contact Southwest Airlines: Reach out to Southwest Airlines customer service via phone at 1-855-400-6890 or through their website’s “Connect With Us” page.
Provide Information: Inform the customer service representative of the need for a name change and present the supporting documentation.
Process the Request: The customer service representative will review the documentation and initiate the name change process.
Southwest Name Change Fee
Southwest Airlines Name Change Policy does not charge a fee for name changes. This means that you can change the name on a ticket without incurring any additional costs. However, there are some important things to keep in mind when requesting a name change on a Southwest Airlines ticket.
Southwest Airlines will only allow name changes if the following conditions are met:
- The name change request is made at least 24 hours before the scheduled departure of the flight.
- The name change is for a minor correction, such as a spelling error or typo.
- The name change is for a major change, such as a name change due to marriage or divorce, and the necessary documentation is provided.
Documents required for major Name Changes-
If you are requesting a name change due to a major change, such as a marriage or divorce, you will need to provide Southwest Airlines with the following documentation:
- A copy of your marriage license or divorce decree
- A copy of your government-issued ID, such as a driver’s license or passport, that shows your new name.
How to request a Name change on a Ticket with Southwest Airlines?
Southwest Airlines allows name changes on tickets under certain conditions. Here’s how you can request the Southwest Airlines name change online as well as over the phone –
Southwest Name Change Online
Follow these easy steps to proceed with the Southwest change name on ticket –
- Visit southwest.com, click on the Southwest Manage Booking tab to proceed.
- Enter the six-digit booking reference along with the last name of the passenger, and click on the ‘Retrieve booking button to proceed.
- On the next page, click on the ‘Change name’ button to request the name correction for your booking.
- Name change can be requested on the Anytime and Business Select fares.
- You can change up to four characters from the first, middle, or last name, so enter the proper name. The four characters represent the combined total and are not to be interpreted as the first and last names’ four characters apiece.
- You would be asked to pay the Southwest name change fee alongside fare difference if there is any.
- Once the request is completed, passengers would be sent a new confirmation, and it requires passengers to Southwest Airlines check in and seat selection again.
Southwest Name Change Over the Phone
Apart from the name correction, all the name change requests can be completed by calling us at the customer service number.
- Call Southwest Airlines customer service.
- Inform the representative that you want to request a name change or correction.
- Provide the reservation locator, ticket number, and passenger’s details.
- You can request the name correction up to characters on the first, middle, or last name. The count of 4 characters is combined total and shall not be understood as the 4 characters each for the first name and last name.
- The representative will guide you through the process and verify the information.
- Once the request is completed, passengers would be sent a new confirmation, and it requires passengers to complete check-in and seat selection again.
Southwest Airlines name change policy is designed to maintain fare integrity and prevent unauthorized ticket transfers. However, the airline does make exceptions for legal name changes and may consider other rare circumstances. If a passenger needs to make a name change that does not qualify for an exception, they should explore alternative options such as canceling and rebooking or utilizing travel credits.
Frequently Asked Questions-FAQ's
If there’s a typo or misspelling error on your first, middle or last name, you can easily fix it yourself via the Southwest Airlines website or via mobile app. Click on the “Manage Booking’ tab and enter the booking reference on the flight reservation. Click on the ‘Change name’ tab and follow the on-screen prompts to complete the name change request.
As per Southwest Airlines name change policy, the change of name on the ticket is not allowed. In case if the passenger has entered the incorrect name or you want to change the name of the passenger, you can cancel the ticket within 24 hours of booking, and claim a full refund.
Southwest Airlines name correction fee of 150 USD would be collected if the name correction was requested within 24 hours of booking. Southwest Airlines representatives may ask for photocopies of legal documentation or any other information that reflects the correct name.
All the Rapid Rewards account tickets can be fixed for a spelling mistake via Southwest Airlines customer service phone number. You would be asked to send a copy of one of the following –
- Marriage License
- Divorce decree
- Old government-issued photo ID plus new government-issued photo-ID
- United Airlines Name Change Policy
- LOT Polish Airlines Name Change Policy
- Ethiopian Airlines Name Change Policy
- Frontier Airlines Name Change Policy
- Sri Lankan Airlines Name Change Policy
- Flair Airlines Name Change Policy
- Philippines Airlines Name Change Policy
- Hawaiian Airlines Name Change
- Singapore Airlines Name Change Policy
- Swiss Air Name Change Policy
- Qantas Name Change Policy
- Lufthansa Name Change Policy
- Scoot Name Change Policy
- Copa Airlines Name Change Policy
- Aeromexico Name Change Policy