You can cancel your Lufthansa flight up to 24 hours before your trip if you need to change your travel plans. If you have a fully refundable ticket like Business Flex, you won’t have to pay any fees if you cancel it. If you have a non-refundable ticket, you cannot cancel your Lufthansa flight according to their cancellation policy.
Sometimes, you can get all your money back even if you bought a ticket that doesn’t allow refunds. This means you can cancel the ticket and get a full refund. Below are the conditions under which you can get a full refund.
- If you cancel your flight booking within 24 hours of making it and your flight is scheduled to depart after 7 days, you can get a full refund. This applies to all types of fares.
- If Lufthansa cancels your flight, you can get all your money back.
- If your flight is delayed, you may be eligible for a full refund if it meets certain criteria or read lufthansa airline flight delay policy.
- More than two hours if something goes wrong more than 24 hours before a flight.
- If something goes wrong on the day of leaving, it could take more than 5 hours.
- If you have a refundable ticket, you can get your money back.
- If your flight or trip was affected by COVID-19, you can get a complete refund. This policy will not be valid after June 1, 2022.
- If you are denied boarding even though you have a confirmed reservation, you can get a full refund.
- If something unexpected happens, like a death or serious illness, and you can’t make your flight, you might be able to get your money back. But you’ll need to show proof and get approval from Lufthansa first.
24-Hour Cancellation Policy
If you need to cancel your flight, Lufthansa Airlines has a policy that lets you do so within 24 hours and receive a full refund.
If you cancel your purchase within 24 hours and your flight is scheduled to depart at least 7 days later, you can get a refund.
You can cancel your Lufthansa ticket within 24 hours of booking, even if it’s a non-refundable fare. To get a refund, you need to do two things: cancel your flight within 24 hours of booking and make sure your departure date is at least 7 days away. If you don’t meet both of these requirements, you might not be eligible for a complete refund.
Note: You may change your flight also during any emergency before that you must read the guidelines of lufthansa airline flight change policy.
Lufthansa Flight Cancellation Due to Death or Illness
If you get sick or someone in your family passes away and you can’t make your Lufthansa flight, you can change the date of your trip until you’re feeling better or ready to travel again. This is part of Lufthansa’s cancellation policy. But it might not be possible to cancel.
Lufthansa Flight Cancellation Due to Other Conditions
The airline has rules about canceling flights:
- You can cancel your Lufthansa flight by calling them, doing it online, or going to a ticket office in person.
- You can cancel your Lufthansa Airlines flight online using their website, even if you bought your ticket from a travel agency or another website.
- To get a refund, you need to cancel your Lufthansa Airlines flight within the given time limit.
- If Lufthansa canceled your flight and you want your money back, you need to fill out an online refund request so that your refund can be processed. If you bought your ticket from someone else, you need to contact them to get your money back.
Lufthansa Cancellation Fee and Charges
If you cancel your travel from the United States, you may have to pay a fee of USD 300 – 750 per passenger, depending on the class you booked.
- Economy Class cancellation Fees
- Premium Economy Cancellation Fees
- Business Class Cancellation Fees
- First Class Cancellation Fees
Economy Class Cancellation Fees:
- You cannot cancel Economy Saver and Economy Basic fares.
- You can cancel and get a refund for Economy Basic Plus I fares, but it will cost USD 300.
- You can cancel and get a refund for Economy Flex II fares without any fees.
Premium Economy Cancellation Fees:
- You cannot cancel Premium Economy Basic fares.
- You can cancel and get a refund for Premium Economy Basic Plus II fares by paying USD 500.
- If you buy a Premium Economy Flex ticket, you can cancel it and get your money back without paying any fees.
Business Class Cancellation Fees:
- You cannot cancel Business Basic fares.
- You can cancel and get a refund for Business Basic Plus II fares by paying USD 500.
- You can cancel and get a refund for Business Flex fares without any fees.
First Class Cancellation Fees:
- You cannot cancel Basic fares.
- You can cancel and get a refund for First Basic Plus fares, but it will cost USD 500.
- You can cancel and get a refund for First Basic Plus II fares, but it will cost you USD 750.
- You can cancel and get a refund for First Flex fares without any charge.
Lufthansa Cancellation Fee for Non-Refundable Tickets
If you cancel your non-refundable Lufthansa ticket within 24 hours of booking, the cancellation fee will be different than if you cancel it after that time.
|Cancellations within 24 hours||Cancellations after 24 hours|
|If you cancel a non-refundable ticket within 24 hours of purchasing it and your flight is scheduled to depart after 7 days or more, you won’t have to pay a cancellation fee.||If you cancel a ticket that cannot be refunded after the risk-free period, you will lose most of the money you paid for it, except for the taxes charged by the government.|
Cancellation Fee for Secure your fare Options
If you choose the Secure fare option for your flight reservation and don’t do anything for 48 hours, you will have to pay a fee of EUR 30/~USD 39. This fee applies even if you book seats for multiple people.
Cancellation Fee for Award Tickets
If you decide to cancel a ticket that you got through an award program, you will have to pay a fee of around USD 60 or EUR 50.
Online Lufthansa Cancellation Process
You can change or cancel your Lufthansa ticket reservation online up to one day before your trip. Here’s how:
- Go to Lufthansa.com
- Click the “My Bookings” button.
- Type in the following details:
- First Name
- Last Name
- Booking Code
- Click on the button Find Bookings.
- Click the Cancellation button next to the plan you want to stop.
- Confirm that you are canceling.
Note: You can cancel a ticket or flight using the offline method or at the airport counter.
Lufthansa Cancellation Refund Policy
The Lufthansa return policy says that you can get your money back in full if:
- If you cancel your flight within 24 hours of booking and your flight is scheduled to depart at least 7 days later, you can do so without any penalty.
- Your Lufthansa flight has been canceled.
- If Lufthansa has a problem with the flight schedule at least one day before you leave, they may delay your flight by more than two hours. If they have a problem on the day you are supposed to travel, they may delay your flight by more than five hours.
- If you cancel your ticket before your trip starts, you can get your money back.
- Your Lufthansa flight was canceled because of COVID-19.
- You had a booking that was confirmed, but you were not allowed to board.
- If you can prove that you were suddenly ill or had a close family member pass away, and that’s why you missed your flight.
Terms and Conditions for Refund
- If you bought your ticket with a credit card, Lufthansa will refund you within 7 days. If you paid with cash or a check, it may take up to 20 days to receive your refund. But because there are many requests to process, it may take more time than usual to receive your refund.
- To get your money back from Lufthansa after they canceled your flight, you need to complete a refund form.
- If you paid with a credit card, you’ll get your refund back on that same credit card. The same goes for other payment methods.
- If you have a ticket that you haven’t used and it’s eligible for a refund, you’ll get all your money back, including taxes and fees.
- If you didn’t use part of your ticket, you can get a refund for that part, as well as any taxes and fees.
- If you asked for a refund by phone, email, or online, please don’t ask again. Doing so will make your refund take longer.
- Interjet Airlines Flight Cancellation Policy
- Lot Polish Airlines Cancellation Policy
- Ethiopian Airlines Cancellation Policy
- Norwegian Airlines Cancellation Policy
- United Airlines Cancellation Policy
- Frontier Airlines Cancellation Policy
- Sri Lankan Flight Cancellation Policy
- Flair Airlines Flight Cancellation Policy
- Philippine Airlines Flight Cancellation Policy
- Scoot Airlines Flight Cancel Policy and Fees
- Copa Airlines Flight Cancellation
- Aeromexico Airlines Flight Cancel Policy
- Volaris Airlines Cancellation Policy
- Condor Airline Flight Cancellation
- Qantas Flight Cancellation Policy