While taking a trip can be a thrilling adventure, parents may find it unsettling to put their kids on a plane by themselves. To guarantee a smooth and safe travel experience, it is essential to comprehend and abide by airline policies, particularly those pertaining to unaccompanied kids. To provide parents additional peace of mind regarding their child’s solo travel, we’ll examine Philippine Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Policy in further detail and explain the important points in this article.
Table of Contents
Understanding Philippine Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Policy
Philippine Airlines may have specific guidelines and requirements. Here are general considerations for Philippine Airlines Unaccompanied minors:
- Airlines typically have age restrictions for unaccompanied minors. Unaccompanied minors are generally children between a certain age range, often 5 to 11 years old.
- You might need to specifically request the Unaccompanied Minor service when making a reservation for a ticket for an unaccompanied kid. In most cases, there is a charge for this service.
- Additional paperwork, such as a consent form with information regarding the child’s journey, emergency contacts, and the person picking them up at the destination, may be filled out and signed by parents or legal guardians.
- Unaccompanied minors are usually required to carry proper identification, and the person picking them up at the destination may need to provide identification as well.
- Certain airlines impose limitations on the kinds of flights that unaccompanied kids are permitted to take. These constraints could apply to certain layover circumstances or restrictions on connecting flights.
How to Book a Flight for Unaccompanied Minors?
Booking a flight for unaccompanied minors typically involves special considerations, and the process may vary between airlines. There are various steps to book a Flight for Philippine Airlines Unaccompanied Minors:
Contact the airline directly: Not all airlines offer UM services. Choose an airline that provides dedicated care for young travelers.
Check age restrictions: Most airlines allow UM travel for children aged 5-11 accompanied by an adult on the same flight, and 12-17 to travel unaccompanied on non-stop domestic flights.
Review fees: UM services typically incur additional fees. Ask about the cost and what’s included (attendant escort, meals, in-flight care).
Book directly with the airline: Online booking might not be available for UMs. Call the airline or visit their ticketing office.
Provide necessary details: Child’s name, age, travel dates, contact information for sending and receiving guardians, emergency contact details.
Complete UM agreement: This document outlines responsibilities and emergency procedures for all parties involved.
Arrive early: Allow ample time for the UM Philippine Airlines check-in process, usually longer than regular check-in.
Proceed to dedicated UM counter: Present all required documents (tickets, passports, UM agreement, parental consent forms).
Flight attendants take over: The child will be escorted through security, immigration (if applicable), and boarding by airline personnel.
Onboard the Flight
Flight attendants care for the child: They provide meals, drinks, assistance, and keep guardians informed via updates.
Child wears an identification tag: This ensures easy identification and supervision by airline personnel.
Seating arrangements: Airlines allocate appropriate seats for UMs, often near flight attendants.
Arrival and Handover
Receiving guardian meets the child at the arrival gate: Verification of identification and documentation occurs before handover.
Meet & Greet services: Some airlines offer optional paid services where a representative welcomes the child, assists with baggage claim, and helps with ground transportation connections.
What are Philippine Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Service Fee and Charges?
For children aged 5 to 11 flying within the Philippines and 12 to 17 traveling alone on non-stop domestic flights, Philippine Airlines provides Unaccompanied Minor (UM) services. But there are particular costs and charges associated with these services:
- This fee is charged per sector and covers the dedicated care and supervision provided by PAL personnel throughout the journey.
- This is the primary fee associated with booking an UM flight with PAL.
- It must be paid at the time of booking the flight.
- The UMSF amount varies depending on the route travelled:
- Between Philippines and Asia/Guam/Port Moresby: USD 50
- Between Philippines and UAE/Qatar/Saudi Arabia/Kuwait: USD 75
- Between Philippines and Australia/New Zealand: USD 70
- Wholly domestic Philippines: PHP 1,288
Optional paid service where a representative welcomes the child at arrival, assists with baggage claim, and helps with ground transportation connections. Fees vary depending on the airport and service details.
What Assistance is provided to unaccompanied minors at Airport?
Unaccompanied minors (UMs) are usually offered a variety of services by airlines, including Philippine Airlines, at the airport to guarantee their safety and comfort during the trip. While the precise services and degree of support may differ throughout airlines, unaccompanied minor assistance often consists of the following:
Check-In Assistance: Dedicated staff to assist with the check-in process, including verifying travel documents, providing boarding passes, and explaining procedures to the child.
Boarding Assistance: Support for boarding the aircraft, including direction to the designated seat. To make sure the youngster is properly situated, airline personnel may communicate with cabin crew.
Transfer Assistance: For connecting flights, assistance in navigating the airport and transferring between flights. The unaccompanied minor is typically escorted to the connecting gate.
Airport Facilities Access: Access to amenities and facilities, such as restrooms and dining areas, with guidance from airline staff.
Handling of Documentation: Assistance with travel documentation, including passport and any necessary forms, ensuring all required paperwork is in order.
The Philippine Airlines unaccompanied minor policy is made with the security and welfare of juvenile passengers in mind. Parents can feel more comfortable sending their kids on solitary trips if they are aware of the booking procedure, related costs, and the caliber of help offered. The sky becomes a safer and more accessible place for unaccompanied adolescents when there is open communication, adequate planning, and the assistance of airline personnel.
Frequently Asked Questions-FAQ's
Children aged 8-11 can travel alone as Unaccompanied Minors on both PAL and PAL Express domestic flights. Children aged 12 to 17 can choose whether to use the service.
Children aged 8-11 must use the Unaccompanied Minors service for both international and domestic flights. Children aged 12-17 have the choice to use the service or not. Children under 8 years old must be accompanied by an adult aged 18 or older in the same cabin.
For Philippine passport holders traveling internationally, an Authority to Travel clearance from the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) is required. Non-Philippine passport holders may need an exit clearance; contact your embassy to confirm.
Parents or adult guardians must accompany Unaccompanied Minors to the departure airport. At the airport, the child will receive a badge for children traveling alone and an envelope with their travel documents.
Minors traveling alone need to pay the full fare for their ticket and an additional Unaccompanied Minor Service Fee (UMSF). UMSF varies depending on the destination, ranging from USD 50 to USD 100, or PHP 500 for domestic flights. This fee must be paid when buying the ticket.
- Southwest Unaccompanied Minor Policy
- United Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Policy
- LOT Polish Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Policy
- Norwegian Air Unaccompanied Minor Policy
- Flair Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Poli
- Hawaiian Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Policy
- Singapore Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Policy
- Swiss Air Unaccompanied Minor Policy
- Lufthansa Unaccompanied Minor Policy
- Qantas Unaccompanied Minor Policy
- Copa Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Policy
- Aeromexico Unaccompanied Minor Policy
- Volaris Unaccompanied Minor Policy
- Air France Unaccompanied Minor Policy
- Emirates Unaccompanied Minor Policy