United Airlines values the safety and comfort of young travelers who are flying alone. United Airlines offers a safe and dependable travel experience for kids who are traveling alone, whether they’re going to summer camp, a sports tournament, or visiting a family member.
This article will explain the important guidelines of United Airlines’ Unaccompanied Minor Policy. In addition, we will provide information about the program’s restrictions, paperwork, and fees. This will help you before you book a flight for your children.
Unaccompanied Minor Policy Key Highlights
According to United Airlines’ policy for unaccompanied minors, there are certain conditions that may be applicable.
- The United Airlines unaccompanied minor service is offered on direct flights operated by United and United Express.
- However, this service cannot be used for codeshare or interline flights.
- The United Airlines policy for unaccompanied travel by minors does not apply to connecting flights.
- Children who are under 5 years old cannot travel alone, even if they are accompanied by an older child who is eligible to travel alone.
- Teenagers aged 15 to 17 have the option to travel alone on United or United Express planes. They can also choose to use the unaccompanied minor service if they prefer.
- United Airlines charges a fee of $150 USD for each leg of the trip when two minors are traveling together.
Parents and guardians should take the time to learn about the United Airlines Minor Travel Policy. This will help make their children’s travel experience easy and stress-free.
The UA Unaccompanied Minors Guide to Same-Itinerary Travel?
Important considerations for 2 or more unaccompanied minors traveling together:
- United Airlines unaccompanied minor service depends on the youngest child’s age when booking with additional youngsters.
- If the youngest traveler is 5-14 and the oldest is 15-17, United Airlines will evaluate the younger traveler for unaccompanied minor service.
- Remember that unaccompanied minor fees apply to the youngest traveler.
- A passenger 18 or older must accompany children under 5.
- If a 15-17-year-old uses the unaccompanied minor service with another minor, please schedule their flights together.
- Booking flights together applies the United Airlines unaccompanied minor charge.
Process to Book Flight for Minor
You have two options for booking a flight: online or through the Customer Service Number. To make a flight reservation under United’s Unaccompanied Minor service, please follow these steps:
- To begin, open your web browser and go to the official United Airlines website. You can find it at www.united.com.
- You can find a search box or a “Book” button on the homepage. To start booking your flight, simply click on it. Here is the recommended screen layout:
- Please provide the necessary information such as the airports you will be departing from and arriving at, the dates of your travel, and the number of passengers. Please specify the number of children traveling.
- If you want more choices, like flights without layovers or specific ticket types, you can click on “Advanced Search” to make your search more personalized. If not, then move on to the next step.
- You will see a list of flights that match your criteria.
- Please review the available options and select the flight that best fits your needs and preferences.
- Please provide all the required information for each passenger, including any minors who will be traveling.
- Make sure to enter the correct ages of the minors to follow United Airlines’ Minor Policy.
- During this step, you have the option to choose specific seats for the minors.
- If the user doesn’t choose their seats, United Airlines will assign seats for them automatically.
- Check Out United Airlines Seat Selection Policy
- If you need any extra services like more luggage or specific things during the flight, you can add them now.
- Please take a moment to review all the information you have entered, such as the flight details, passenger information, and any additional services you have added.
- To complete your booking, go to the payment section and enter the required payment details. Please follow the instructions provided to complete the transaction.
- Once your payment is processed, you will either receive a confirmation email or a booking reference number.
When you book, you can give information about the people who will drop off and pick up your children at the airport.
If you need to make changes to this information later, just call United Airlines and they will help you.
Over the Phone:
To get started, contact United Airlines’ customer service team. To find the option, go to the Help Centre Page.
Tips for Unaccompanied Minors During Travel
We have all the information you need to make your child’s travel experience easy and stress-free. This includes contact information and details about onboard entertainment.
- Contact Information – Remember to have your child’s phone number handy so you can easily get in touch with them if they need help or want to reach you when they arrive.
- When you’re at the airport, make sure to explain to your child about the security procedures, how to check in with United Airlines, and how to find the boarding gate. It is important to wait for the United staff to guide you throughout your journey.
- If your child wants to bring electronic devices, make sure they are fully charged because there might not be any charging options at the boarding area.
- Entertainment – Make sure your child brings games, books, or other activities to keep them busy during the flight.
- When traveling with your child, make sure to go to the airport together and arrive at least 1 hour before the scheduled departure time for domestic flights, and 3 hours before for international flights.
- To check-in, you need to go to the airport counter. Unaccompanied minors cannot use the online check-in service or Check out United Airlines Check-In Policy
- Security Procedures – Once you have checked in, parents or guardians will be given a gate pass. This pass allows you to accompany your child through the gate.
- During the flight, your child can choose one menu item for free. You can buy more meals if you want. You can bring packed food and snacks with you.
By going through this full list, you can help your child feel ready and confident for their trip with United Airlines as a single minor.
The ID requirements for children required by United Airlines at the time of check-in are:
- Every child traveler needs to have a valid form of identification, like a passport or an ID issued by the government.
- Each minor traveler must provide proof of age, which is important. The document can be in the form of a birth certificate.
- If a minor is traveling without both parents or legal guardians, they may need to have a consent letter or affidavit. This letter or affidavit should be signed by the absent parent(s) or legal guardian(s) to give permission for the child to travel.
- United Airlines requires that specific forms be completed for unaccompanied minors.
If you’re planning to travel internationally, it’s important to know that you might need extra travel documents like visas or travel permits.
Unaccompanied Minor Service Fees
Prices vary depending on which type of flight you choose. Fees are approx. $100–$200. If you want to know more about fees and charges, contact United Airlines Customer Care.
How old must you be to fly United by yourself?
Most of the time, children between the ages of 5 and 14 who are flying alone must use the United Airlines unaccompanied minor service.
Can a 14/15/16/17-year-old fly alone on United Airlines?
Yes, people who are 14, 15, 16, or 17 can fly alone on United Airlines.
Can a child fly on United Airlines alone?
United Airlines has a policy for minors that says people between the ages of 5 and 14 can fly alone, but they have to pay an extra fee on top of the ticketed price.
Can I buy a ticket for an international flight for a child who is going alone?
Unaccompanied minors can go to any of our foreign destinations as long as the flight is direct and doesn’t stop at any other airports or planes.
- Norwegian Air Unaccompanied Minor Policy
- Flair Airlines Unaccompanied Minors Policy
- Philippines Airlines Unaccompanied Policy
- Hawaiian Airlines Minor Policy
- Singapore Airlines Minor Policy
- Swiss Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Policy
- Lufthansa Airlines Unacompanied Minor Policy
- Qantas Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Policy
- Copa Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Policy
- Aeromexico Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Policy
- Volaris Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Policy
- Air France Unaccompanied Minor Policy
- Emirates Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Policy